KNOW YOUR LIGHTS WELL Incandescent and basic flash electronic units are used for portrait lighting. A photographer needs to know their lights well to get desired results. BACKGROUND LIGHT A low powered light, it just illuminates the background to separate the background and the subject tonally. These are mostly placed on a stand behind the […]
What is lighting for photography?
- Artificial Light: There are 4 main types photographers use
- Flash or studio strobe
- Natural Light: (Think sun or moon) what allows us to see. It is what shapes and colors every object we can see without eyes, it creates depth, mood, and color.
- Exposure – how bright a scene is and how it effects our image.
- Quality – how focused or diffuse light is.
- Color – the color of the light in an image.
- Direction – where is the light coming from?
- Highlight – the brightest part of the image
- Shadow – the darkest part of the image.
- Contrast – The difference between the bright part of an image and the dark part of an image
DIFFERENT LIGHTING TYPES TO KNOW SHORT LIGHTING In this type, the light illuminates the face side that is turned away from the camera. It highlights facial contours, and also used as a technique for corrective lighting to narrow a wide or round face. Short lighting with a weak fill light can help produce a dramatic […]
KNOWING YOUR LIGHT MODIFIERS With the use of modifiers with the different lights, there are limitless variations, arrays and effects which can be produced in a portrait. PARABOLIC REFLECTORS It is a polished silver metal reflector, which has a strobe head or lamp attached. They produce well defined shadows, sharp light and a lot of […]
UNDERSTANDING BLUE HOUR LANDSCAPE PHOTOGRAPHY Another important concept to understand when you embark upon the journey of a landscape photographer is the blue hour photography. Apart from daytime and golden hours, blue hour photography also plays an important role in making your landscape images magical. This section will discuss what the blue hour photography […]
How to Read Lighting Conditions for Photos Reading the lighting conditions is important for capturing technically sound photographs. You can only achieve the ideal exposure if you understand ambient or artificial lighting and plan your photograph accordingly. Here we describe the important lighting elements that will help you capture amazing photos. Intensity of Light Understanding […]